What is it?
Apprenticeships give you the chance to gain nationally recognised qualifications while getting a weekly wage. There are three levels available:
- Intermediate Apprenticeships (equivalent to five good GCSE passes)
- Advanced Apprenticeships (equivalent to two A level passes)
- Higher Apprenticeships (lead to qualifications at NVQ Level 4 or, in some cases, a Foundation Degree - see seperate pop up)
Apprenticeships are available in more than 190 roles across a wide variety of industry sectors, ranging from accountancy and business administration to construction, engineering, manufacturing and many more. All Apprenticeships include the following elements:
- An appropriate work-based qualification such as a National Vocational Qualification (NVQ);
- Key Skills qualifications, e.g. working in teams, problem-solving, communication and using new technology;
- A technical qualification such as a BTEC or City & Guilds; and,
- Other qualifications as specified by the occupation.
Apprenticeships are open to all age groups above 16 years-old, whether you are just leaving school, have been working for years or are seeking to start a new career.
Where could I study?
You will be linked to a college or training provider. In some cases the college or training provider might help you find an employer with a vacancy or you can search for local vacancies by registering on Apprenticeship vacancies.
How long will it take me?
It varies depending on the sector, the qualification and the skills you already have. Generally, an Apprenticeship takes between one and four years to complete.
Options after the course?
An Apprenticeship develops the skills employers want and gives you choices in your career. Your career doesn’t have to stop at the Intermediate or Advanced Apprenticeship and in some sectors you might be able to undertake a Higher Apprenticeship which involves a degree level qualification. Higher Education values the skills and knowledge gained through your Apprenticeship and you could progress into Foundation Degree or other higher level qualifications.